9:00am – 9:15am
Overview – Tuesday – February 26
WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION
9:15am – 9:45am
9:45am – 10:30am
In this session, we discuss how investment operations can assist in fostering best-in-class investment management:
- Where is the investment spectrum inhibited by a diminished investment operations capability and what is the cost?
- What skills are required to achieve best-in-class investment operations?
- What is our operating model and how do we want to operate strategically?
10:30am – 11:00am
11:00am – 11:30am
In this session, we hear from three asset owners on their evolution over the last five years:
- What have been the areas for compromise?
- What has been the greatest challenge?
- What are the lessons and advice for other funds?
11:30am – 12:00pm
In this session, we examine the key risks and responsibilities involved as clients change service providers:
- What are the roles and obligations of the client custodians, consultants, auditors, and fund managers as part of the process and who owns the project?
- With no industry standard protocols, what data and information should be shared between new and old custodians?
- What approaches are adopted, and who bears the cost for historical data such as performance and attribution analysis?
12:00pm – 12:40pm
In this session, we receive an update on a number of pressing regulatory issues:
- What are the differences between AIST’s operational due diligence guidance and APRA’s? What does best practice look like?
- When is cash not cash? What is APRA’s interpretation?
- What is the latest update for RG 97? What will change and how does it coincide with the Productivity Commission’s objective of net return after cost?
- Do CCIVs (corporate collective investment vehicles) have a use in Australia?
12:40pm – 1:00pm
In this session we will hear an update from ACSA on their agenda for 2019-20, and presenting a number of awards, including the Lifetime Achievement Award.
1:00pm – 2:00pm
2:00pm – 2:30pm
In this session, we discuss securities lending and its history since the GFC:
- What are the pros and cons of securities lending?
- What are trustees’ risks and concerns regarding ethics and margin calls?
- What are the Treasury and ATO’s perspectives on collateral and market liquidity?
2:30pm – 3:00pm
In this session, we cover all the aspects of efficiency leakage that affect operations:
- What do funds not understand about efficiency leakage?
- What issues should a fund prioritise – tax, implementation, execution?
- What does best practice look like and what are the implications for RG 97?
3:00pm – 3:30pm
3:30pm – 4:00pm
In this session, we seek to challenge the mentality of operations serving investments:
- How to balance the objectives of the CIO with the investment operations model?
- How to ensure diversity of thought and the right attitudinal and cultural mix?
- In a post-Royal Commission world, how can the industry support good ethics?
4:00pm – 4:30pm